Re: Too many jobs on a resume

Subject: Re: Too many jobs on a resume
From: "Brian, Flaherty" <bflaher -at- INDCON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:07:15 -0500

Laura Bell wrote:

> I don't understand this view. I am not a tech writer, but journalist.
> But see tech writers work as projects just like mine are; even though
> the
> person may be hired as an employee. Writers' jobs end there when the
> project does and how can they be judged for job presence like another
> employee. This seems very unfair.

Yes, it does seem unfair, but does go on. The general Corporate
perception is that people who jump ship often are "too risky" to hire.
It takes almost 3 to 6 months or more to hire someone going through the
usual interview and check-out process. It is costly for employers to
have to repeat this every 3 to 6 months for the same position.

In general, companies look for permanent employees who are willing to
stay and "work up" (or "work across" nowadays) the corporate ladder.

My advice: If you've had many short term jobs as the result of
freelance or contract work, indicate this on your cover letter or
somewhere in the resume, and back it up in the interview. ("Yes, I know
I worked at XYZ for 3 months, then ABC for 8 months; but those were
contract assignments, yada yada yada...").

Brian Flaherty
ICS, Paramus, NJ (USA)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=