Re: ANON: My replacement

Subject: Re: ANON: My replacement
From: John Gilger <jgilger_it -at- NV -dot- DOE -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 07:37:21 -0800

Anonymous,

It sounds like you work for a company just like I worded for a while
back. I can only offer two possible answers to your problem.

1. Have you told your boss that you would stay if they would raise
your pay to a level exceeding your current offer? You wouldn't need to
worry about a replacement.

2. It is not really your problem. It seems that managers of some
small software firms are great ex-programmers with little in the way of
management skills. They often seem to prefer to learn by falling on
their swords rather than listening to the experience of others.

Possibly, one reason your company had a bad experience with head hunters
is that they didn't accurately assess their needs and communicate them
to the recruiter. Another reason could have been that they were
offering sub-standard pay. It is extremely difficult for a recruiter to
persuade anyone to look at a job that pays substantially less than
similar jobs on the list. Maybe you ought to point this out to your
boss. Now we're back to question 1.

HTH

John