Another word on Word

Subject: Another word on Word
From: Sybille Sterk <sybille -at- BOFFIN -dot- BEYOND2000 -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:54:03 +0000

Although Word is not my favourite word processor, it is the industry
standard so that's what I am using.

To cope with Word's problem with long documents I just open a new document
for each chapter. If the chapter is especially big I might even have
several documents for one single chapter. When I am finished I copy all the
chapters into one big document to create the TOC and index ,which are then
unliked from the long document and copied each into a new document.

This works fine, although it would be better if Word's Masterdocument
feature (which does exactly do what I described above) would work any
better. Sometimes you can get lucky with the Masterdocument feature, but
mostly it just screws up everything.

I think the problem with big red Xs appearing instead of the graphics has
something to do with Word crashing during the saving process. Just make
sure you save your document frequently without using the FAST SAVE or AUTO
SAVE features. Using the Backup Copy feature can be helpful, though. (All
are found in TOOLS, Options, Save.)

The problem is that we expect Word to do the job of a DTP program and to a
certain degree Word is capable of doing just that, but not entirely. If you
want all the features of a DTP program you will have to convince your boss
to buy one and use this instead. (My boss couldn't be convinced, especially
as it would take much longer for the help to be created because I am still
messing around with the layout...) ;-)

Sybille

Sybille Sterk
Technical Author and Translator (German)
email: sybille -at- boffin -dot- beyond2000 -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=