Re: Appalled, eh?

Subject: Re: Appalled, eh?
From: "Comeau, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Comeau -at- MOH -dot- GOV -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:11:40 -0500

Darren Barefoot said:

... I think it's unprofessional to offer any unsolicited feedback in a job
interview on the applicant's presentation. They want a job, not an
appraisal. Should we offer our two
cents worth on their resume? Their tie?

I say:

Having taught courses on resume writing and interviewing skills, as well as
having interviewed TONS of people in my lifetime, I WOULD offer unsolicited
advice on the applicant's resume and/or presentation and/or interview
skills. I WOULD NOT do so in a rude or condescending way, and I WOULD NOT do
it in the interview, BUT, should the applicant have enough common sense and
professionalism to call/write/contact me about their interview (i.e. to
thank me for my valuable time), and they are NOT the person I wished to
hire, I would tell them what convinced me not to hire them.

I, for one, always contact my interviewer and thank them. If they are not
too busy (and willing to talk briefly) I ask if they have any tips for me.
When they tell me what I did wrong, I get one step closer to getting the job
next time. And when I leave a position, I take the time for an "exit
interview" even if I have to arrange it myself. That way, I get feedback on
the type of job I did (also, what kinds of things they'll say if I use them
as a reference) and they get to know what sorts of things to do for the
person taking over my position.

My 2 cents...

Lisa Comeau
Ontario, Canada
"I love to dance in the light of the TECHWR-L flames...it makes me feel
free..."
-attributed to a crazy techwhirler singed to death on afternoon in May

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=