Re: Appalled, eh?

Subject: Re: Appalled, eh?
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 08:12:09 -0600

> I think not. If Mr. Plato pulled that on me the last thing I'd expect would
> be to get the job. DB.

If Mr. Plato pulled that one me, the last thing I'd do is *take* the
job. I'd leave before he finished speaking.

I agree that if a potential employer specifically asks for work samples,
salary history, etc., that it is thoughtless (for lack of a better word)
to ignore that request without explaining why. If someone said I'm
sorry, I can't (or choose not to) include this information because of X,
then I'd happily work around it (assuming their resume was tempting).
Been there, done that. But for someone to just ignore that request
without any explanation... well, I have to think they either didn't
read/listen to the requirements carefully or simply chose to ignore them
without bothering to let me know -- neither of which bodes well for a
technical writer, does it?

But I'm still laughing at the image of Mr. Plato eagerly sitting through
the interview, toes impatiently tapping, struggling to maintain his
composed countenance, perhaps even twirling the ends of his waxed
moustache, waiting for the moment of truth -- the exact moment to pounce
on the hapless interviewee and reveal his horrible secret! Oh, the
drama! The expression of horror and shame on the interviewee's face! The
merciless "bwah hah hah" echoing through the halls! The pitiful "Please,
sir, may I work for half price?" It's opera and Melrose Place rolled
into one! :-D

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=