Re: Resume and Coverletter Game

Subject: Re: Resume and Coverletter Game
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:10:32 -0600

>So I'm asking the other hiring managers out there, have any of you
>ever seen a cover letter that has influenced your interviewing decision
>positively? And what percentage of cover letters do you view as being
>positive, neutral, and negative?

I'm not a hiring manager, nor do I play one on TV, but I have been in
that position once or twice. I think a cover letter can be helpful when
something in the resume needs to be explained. For example, I've
mentioned the applicant who had a different job every year for several
years -- if her cover letter had mentioned that she'd been following a
military spouse, and that he was out now, she might have stood a chance.
Or the one whose resume listed work history and a career objective that
had *nothing* to do with the job she applied for -- if her cover letter
had indicated she wanted to change fields, it wouldn't have looked so
much like she accidentally applied for the wrong job. Personally, I
would still include a cover letter, just because it's still done here in
the middle of the US. Those on the edges may disagree. And of course I'd
need something to explain what all those writing samples are. ;-)

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=