Re: Writers reference: prepositions

Subject: Re: Writers reference: prepositions
From: Emmy Aricioglu <EMMY_ARICIOGLU -at- HP-ROSEVILLE-OM3 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 12:44:35 -0800

Item Subject: Writers reference: prepositions
The most comprehensive reference I have found for use of prepositions
is in the book Words into Type, published by Prentice-Hall. In my
edition, the third, the section The Right Preposition begins on page
432 and concludes on page 446.

This book also has excellent sections on trite expressions (although
e-mail trite expressions are still forming) and other excellent
advice.

I often recommend this book to our engineers who learned English as a
second language. As you have pointed out, idiomatic use of the
preposition is one of the trickier skills required by English.

Best wishes,
Emmy

_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=