Re: No users!

Subject: Re: No users!
From: Linda Sherman <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:51:11 -0500

"Parks, Beverly" wrote:

> This is one of those silly questions, but I'm going to ask it anyway. The
> decision has already been made to no longer refer to the users of our
> software as "users"; now they are "clients".

[groan]

What's wrong with 'user'? That's the standard term, it's what 99.99...%
of the rest of the world calls a computer user. Why has your company
decided to single-handedly redefine the English language?

My dictionary and thesaurus do not give "user" as a synonym for
"client". There's also the fact that "client" has a specific meaning in
computing that has nothing to do with users.

Lin
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Computer programming, technical writing, web development

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=