Voice Software, Injuries and CTS

Subject: Voice Software, Injuries and CTS
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:45:38 -0500

All the suggestions I've received have been extremely informational. I think I
might go ahead and try out some voice recognition software, including but not
limited to Dragon Naturally Speaking.

The best solution to CTS is not to develop it in the first place. So, all the
suggestions of VR software, split keyboards, etc. are excellent ones. Surgery,
while recommended by the doctors, was never an option to me. I believe any
surgery for something like this is stupid(IMHO), unless you are going to change
the behaviour that caused the problem in the first place. I have seen many
people redevelop CTS after surgery, because their working habits remained the
same.

I experienced almost 100% improvement by using a split keyboard, and a totally
ergonomic work environment - chair, desk, mouse, etc. - the works.
Unfortunately, the company currently employing me will not let me use my own
furniture and/or equipment, and does not believe in investing in ergonomic
furniture for their employees. Several people I work with are complaining of
symptoms that suggest CTS, while one person has both hands braced.

I have been here for almost a year now, and just recently my hands have started
to ache. I know from past history, that the aching is a precursor to
excruciating pain again, so I have to start doing some re-thinking.
Unfortunately, this company is violently opposed to telecommuting, so all my
expensive, ergonomic furniture is sitting useless at home.

If anybody works for a company that will support ergonomic environments, do
yourself a favour, and get all that you can. As so many people on this list
have mentioned, it really does make a difference.

The activities I mentioned giving up in my last post are things like vacuuming
(vibrations hurt), peeling vegetables, carrying heavy bags, shoveling, and
needlecrafts. Needlecrafts is the only activity I miss :)

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while, I was a suspect.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=