FW: Fuzzy PDF text

Subject: FW: Fuzzy PDF text
From: Lynn Perry <CLPerry -at- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:45:19 -0800

I found this searching for TrueType. It's certainly true for our PDF output;
the times font we used was nearly unreadable for blurriness. You might also
want to check out which printer you use.
*****************************
Type 1 fonts are generally much better to
use than true type fonts for making PDF files.

"The following is a quote from page 24 of the Adobe Acrobat 3.0 Getting
Started guide:
"...because when such files [PDF] are created in Windows with TrueType
fonts the text in them is unsearchable and unselectable." (This is given
as a reason why one should use Type 1 fonts and Adobe Type Manager.)"
I find that some TrueType fonts work perfectly fine, while others work
from PDF Writer and not from Distiller. If you can go with Type 1 fonts,
do it.
In our previous episode, Sonja Draeger said:
> I'm having trouble printing my .pdf files. I create the original files
> in Word using Garamond (W1), use Acrobat Distiller to distill them, then
> view them in Acrobat Exchange--no problems. But when I print the files
> the font is completely wrong.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com replies:
I'm pretty sure the trouble is that you're using a printer font
(that's what the (W1) means, I think), and that's the one thing that
Acrobat Distiller has trouble with -- it can understand Type 1 and
TrueType fonts just fine.

We had a similar situation, and once we hunted up a Type 1 version of
Garamond, everything went swimmingly.