Re: Recruiters

Subject: Re: Recruiters
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 12:02:00 -0800

I look for a really good agency. When I find one, I stick with them, even
if they don't have a job for me at the moment. The difference between good
agencies and bad is huge.

I too insist on knowing about the position before I interview with the
client. However, I am willing to interview with an agency just to get to
know them and talk about possibilities.

Beware of agencies that retype your resume. I saw many resumes coming in
from the agency I once worked for that had been retyped, errors added, all
personality clues removed, and then faxed so that the result was dirty
looking and sometimes unreadable. They certainly no longer showed the care
that the original writer had put into the resume. We can always provide a
number of wonderful looking resumes for the agency to use.

Having said all that, I must add that I am no longer contracting. I am
happily and permanently employed.

Marilynne

At 10:42 AM 3/4/99 , Martha J Davidson wrote:
>At 07:03 AM 3/4/99 -0800, Steven J. Owens wrote:
>>Andrew Plato writes:
>>> Also, do not expect an agency to reveal the client's name or company
>>> until an interview is setup. Agencies get jobs ripped out from
>>> underneath them all the time. They have to protect themselves.
>>
>> I understand and respect this, and I sympathize with your
>>experiences. However, when a recruiter asks to submit my resume, I
>>absolutely must know where the resume is going. It's my resume and I
>>have every right to know who has it. I also have to protect myself
>>from double-submissions, since I don't deal exclusively with one
>>recruiter (unless the recruiter is willing to hire me full time and
>>pay my rate).
>
>Precisely. I have told each agency I have worked with over the years that
>they may not present my resume without my consent. In order to give that
>consent, I need to know where they want to present me. I, too, have worked
>with more than one recruiter at a time, and must be vigilant that my resume
>does not appear more than once for the same position. I also want to
>prevent them from presenting me for positions at companies where I do not
>want to work, often because of the company's location or because I don't
>feel qualified to work in particular areas of technology.
>
>martha
>
>--
>Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
>mailto:editrix -at- slip -dot- net
>
>"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
> If I am only for myself, what am I?
> If not now, when?"
> --Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

Marilynne Smith marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer (619) 651-6664
QUALCOMM "We'll have the whole world talking"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=