Re: FWD: About giving notice...

Subject: Re: FWD: About giving notice...
From: Paul Strasser <paul -dot- strasser -at- WINDSOR-TECH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 07:58:21 -0600

Anonymous wrote, in part:

> It also ensures your employment up to that date. Once you give
>notice, a
>> company can't let you go for any reason without violating labor laws.

I am not sure this is true. The "two weeks notice" (or any amount of notice)
is not a legal requirement for either party, assuming that there is no other
contractual obligation. In my last two states of residence, CA and CO,
there were no such restrictions on employers to keep an employee around
after they've given notice. Two weeks is courtesy. If you were to give
your "two week's notice" you shouldn't be surprised if you were politely
shown the door at that moment.

This is not a critique on whether it makes sense for an employer to keep you
around as long as they can in order to make the transition smooth for both
parties. But even when this is the case, one shouldn't be surprised if an
employer takes it more personally than you do. Your "it's just business"
decision to leave might be viewed in a different light by your employer.
That's just human nature.

Certainly, "courtesy" is usually in everyone's best interest. At the
minimum you aren't burning bridges, and all that.

The idea that "giving notice" somehow legally restricts an employer from
dismissing an employee makes no sense. I'll go to my employer right now and
give my notice -- in September 2005. That way he can't get rid of me
between now and then :-)

Paul Strasser
happily employed, BTW

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=