Re: FWD: About giving notice...

Subject: Re: FWD: About giving notice...
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:51:01 GMT

I haven't tried "helping out," although I have made myself available
for questions (giving the old employer my new number and telling them
it's OK to call -- within reason).

I would be skeptical about the telecommute plan working, since you
will be starting a new position, which (at least for me) takes a lot
of attention and energy. My guess is that you won't have time and
energy to devote to the old job, since the new one will be much more
interesting.

Instead, I would see if I could give the old company longer than 2
weeks notice (I've seen 3 and 4 weeks notice at some places). Of
course, this might mean delaying employment with the new firm. Many
places will respect your interest in completing projects and leaving
your projects in good order.

Good luck,

Barb

>Since hiring anyone will take longer than 2 weeks, has anyone had an success with giving 2 weeks notice and offering to "help out" (by telecommuting) with work in progress until other staff can pick up the excess?
>
>I don't want to put my current company in a bind; however, I am not going to turn down a good offer because they don't have enough staff to lose me.
>
>In case it matters - The job I'm considering is in a different field, different state and pays less. Its my dream job so I want to grab it before its gone. =)
>
>I am posting anon to protect my company who I have not given notice to yet.

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing. caslonsvcs -at- ibm -dot- net
Cleveland, OH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000