Writers not using the server

Subject: Writers not using the server
From: Cathy Julian <cjulian -at- KCNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:58:17 -0600

Beth Kane originally wrote:

>> I am really irritated with tech writers who refuse to store/work with
>> their
>> docs on the server everyone is supposed to be using. I've worked with
>> two
>> people like this, at two different companies.
>> For some reason they don't feel right unless they're working with the
>> docs
>> residing on their hard drives. When questioned they'll tell you they
>> back
>> it
>> up to floppy (!) or some other drive. Why won't they use the server
>> they're
>> supposed to use?

I guess I'm not clear about why this bothers you so much. Does it interfere
with your ability to do your own work? Could it potentially? Does it
interfere with or pose a threat to the ability of other people to do *their*
work? If the answer to these questions is No, then what's the big deal?

Perhaps I missed something, but it sounds like what's bothering you is
simply that the other writers aren't following "the rules" and doing what
they're "supposed" to do, rather than that they are creating any kind of
functional problem that affects you. If this is the case, all I can suggest
is that you stop spending your stomach lining being irritated by things that
don't affect you -- live and let live. Of course, if the writers are
causing functional problems by their choices, that's different. But your
boss doesn't see it as a big enough issue to make a point about, so maybe
it's not. Just a thought.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because
they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."
--H. Jackson Browne

Catherine Julian

PrairieFire Consulting
"Information management solutions"