FWD: Contracting Experiences

Subject: FWD: Contracting Experiences
From: Anonymous User <anonfwd -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 10:02:59 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

Hello everyone,

I am interested in finding out about anyone's contracting
experiences--good, bad, pitfalls to watch for, etc. I have been in the
profession for a number of years, but prior to moving to the large city
I am in now, I have never been exposed to contract opportunities.

Currently, I am in a permanent job, but I am beginning to realize that
perhaps there really is no such thing as job security and a "permanent"
job any longer. I had very high hopes when I took this position, but
due to a number of things, including layoffs, a wonderful supervisor who
left the company, etc., I am extremely disappointed.

There are numerous contract positions in this area, and the recruiters
really seem to push these. I am a bit reluctant only because I have
always worked in a "permanent" position. However, the pay scale
certainly seems to be higher than those of permanent positions. Also,
there seems to be tremendous opportunity to be exposed to new learning
experiences.

If anyone would share their experiences with me, I would be grateful.
Did you form your own company? Did you sign on "permanently" with the
recruiting company to be "contracted" out to different employers? Is it
difficult to take care of self employment taxes? In short, anything you
could share with me would be appreciated.

Message forwarded on request. Please reply on list.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=