Software Manual Organization

Subject: Software Manual Organization
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:00:46 -0500

Howdy,

I am reorganizing a software manual and the process has
brought up an issue for me. Each manual I have worked on
has had three types of info a user would need: an explanation
of each menu and its items, how tos, and theoretical or
historical information. In the last manual I wrote, it was easy
to mix all three. In this current manual, the how tos tend to
use more than one menu in each process so I have set
them into another chapter. Right now, I trying to decide if
I should merge the theoretical with the menu explanations
or if that would be too confusing.

To those who write software manuals, how do you tend to
organize it (considering the types of information I presented
above)?

Melonie R. Holliman
Technical Writer
CPD Marketing