Re: html editor questions

Subject: Re: html editor questions
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:59:39 -0400

Hmmmmm. Remember, I am not talking about bloat in general, I am talking
about the case of the FONT tag specifically.

Consider, perhaps, that you are focusing on entirely the wrong thing. You
can save a tonne more by designing you site to use graphics efficiently,
creating graphics well, and by being cautious about Javascript and applets .
. .. I think a crisp and clean site with well-thought out links, layout,
graphics, and purposeful use of other elements is a much better focus for
your attention than whether a FONT FACE tag is repeated a few times too
often. I certainly think that if this is the only major technical issue with
a WYSIWYG editor, then whatever extra download time there is in the FONT tag
is more than offset by the coding time saved you by the WYSIWYG environment.

I stand by the too-picky thing.

>>>font definition so all <P>
>>>too picky on this.
>>>
>>>Who cares? Well, only those who have to download the extra
>>>garbage. Bloat
>>>increases download time.

Yes, perhaps you're right, I'll bet waiting to load FONT FACE="ARIAL" really
slows things down.

>>>Granted, font tags don't take that long, but when you
>>>have hundreds or thousands of files every little bit helps.

Agreed. Why, just this morning I was trying to load 238,000 HTML pages at
the same time. Boy did those FONT tags nail my download time.

>>>Ironically, the bloat isn't all bloat. Technically (and practically, in
some
>>>cases) the font tag has to be repeated pretty often. In particular, each
>>>cell in a table needs its own font tag.

Say it ain't so.

As for the "Evil Empire" thing, I agree philosophical, ethical, and moral
considerations should be a part of everything we do, including the purchase
of goods and web development software. Thanks for reminding us.

If the FONT tag thing is an example of the kind of bloat you cannot stand
and must avoid, then a text editor is your only option.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=