Re: Size of Manuals

Subject: Re: Size of Manuals
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 13:55:01 -0400

Hallo:

I don't have time to organize these thoughts, so follow as best you can . .
..

There are some conventions and beliefs, such as a 4-inch text column is the
best length for comprehension, that support the idea of a smaller book size.
You would also want to consider paper size versus standard sheet sizes, so
you are not throwing $$$ away in wasted paper. For example, 8.5x14 is a
standard size, so would making a book 8.5x 7 save you money. Certainly, 8.5x
11 and 17x11 are standard sizes, so little paper is wasted with the
US-letter sized design. Do you print overseas? If so, US-letter will not
fit European paper stock and a US-letter height combined with an A4 width
might be a way to go. Design should also include what the customer needs.
Your present design is about 13-inches in its longest dimension when held
open by the customer. A US-letter-sized book is 17-inches in its longest
dimension, is this too unwieldy? Do you perfect bind or three ring bind?
Finding a three ring binder to accommodate US-letter sizes might be cheaper
and easier than finding one for 6.5x 8.5.

Why does the techie feel this way? Few books are 8.5x11--checkit out at the
bookstore or library. Why do you feel your book size is right? Why does you
design work better than an 8.5x11 design could? What does your service
bureau think or have to offer on the subject? How big do any pictures need
to be? Do you need to faithfully reproduce 132 lines of computer code
exactly as displayed without line breaks? If you produce your books also as
PDF, a smaller book size might work better for computer screens . . ..

Good luck.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=