Re: EuroEnglish

Subject: Re: EuroEnglish
From: Peter Jones <Holtec -at- COMITY -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 11:54:43 +0100

In message , Jeff ALLEN <jeff -at- ELDA -dot- FR> writes

>>I deeply resent this miss use of the term for the European currency (see
>>we can get upset too if we try hard).

I was never any good at irony. People always seem to take what I say
seriously.

My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

;)

>I work in collaboration with about a hundred European universities and
>companies, and have heard the term EuroEnglish used several times (not as a
>joke) as referring to the written and spoken general medium of
>communication (lingua franca) between the European states.

Seriously, this may be true but English speakers still have a real
responsibility to try to understand the languages of their Continental
European colleagues especially where it comes to 'false friends' and
idioms.

Take care.
--
Peter Jones

e-mail Holtec -at- comity -dot- demon -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=