Re: Scalding vat of liquid tungsten

Subject: Re: Scalding vat of liquid tungsten
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 18:42:48 -0700

Here's another one.

I came on about 8 weeks ago to write the manual for an
app that was frozen for v.1 and developers were
already working on v.2

As I'm writing the doc...maybe around 320 pages
to-date, I start coming across things "that shouldn't
have been there or act that way", so I start writing
emails to the development team with my findings...I
think I'm at about 15-20 reports so far. Most of the
development team is in Brussels and Costa Rica, so it
has to be done by email.

They seemed to have been well received, or at least
none came back with F-You in the subject line. :-)

Anyway, today, I meet in-person the developer who I've
been directing these emails to. He tells me that in
about two weeks, they are, based on my findings,
postponing the delivery of of the app from June 1 to
August 1 and that a team of 4 developers are going to
stop work on v.2 and put v.1 of the software through a
2 week in-depth testing and repair program.

:-)

Some days, you eat the bear, and some days, the bear
eats you.

--- Jean Weber <jhweber -at- WHITSUNDAY -dot- NET -dot- AU> wrote:
> Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote about
> influencing software
> engineers by asking tactful and appropriate
> questions. Here's one of my
> stories:
>
> One day I was interviewing a software engineer, who
> was showing me the
> latest working version of a product that was just
> about to ship. At one
> point in the backup-to-floppy procedure, the usual
> warning comes up: "This

===
John Posada
Western Union International