Re: Units of Scroll

Subject: Re: Units of Scroll
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 18:06:27 -0400

On 5/13/1999 5:37 PM, Kathy Ellis (kathy -at- TIBINC -dot- COM) wrote:

>Moving by "page" is equivalent to clicking in the gray area of a
>Windows scroll bar. Moving by "unit" is equivalent to clicking the scroll
>arrow on the Windows scroll bar.
>What I'd like to be able to say is, "Use the yada, yada command to move the
>map by ..........(the little unit of scrolling)."

If the user's already familiar with the feature elsewhere, use the same
terminology to avoid confusion. Using that reasoning, the wording would

"To scroll the map to the right, use the Scroll Right command."

Any computer user (past the novice, "what's a window?" stage) know's how
to scroll... it's among the first five lessons of any computer tutorial,
along with clicking and dragging.

Also, note that word-processing manuals don't bother saying "To scroll
down in one-line increments, do this.", they simply say "To scroll down,
do this."

Just a thought... why make it more complicated?


Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Re: Dumbing Down (Was: Using Contractions in Software Manuals)
Next by Author: Re: Writing vs. Testing
Previous by Thread: Re: Units of Scroll
Next by Thread: Re: Units of Scroll

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads