Re: Should I Say Something?

Subject: Re: Should I Say Something?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:44:16 -0700

Theresa...

Nobody LIKES criticism. Not one person on this earth
LIKES to be criticized. They may smile, though if you
look real hard, it may be a gimmace instead.

A long, long, time ago, there was a topic on this list
about what color pen should be used to edit someone
elses work, even when it is your job to do so. You
mean that they will gladly accept it from a stranger
who doesn't even have the job yet, but they will get
insulted if the edit is done in red ink and not in
green or purple ink?

However, a person who's work is being criticized will
accept it if they believe that they are receiving that
criticism from someone who is a greater authority on
the subject than they are.

In an interview, you have not established that yet.
Even if you are being hired to be that person, you
aren't that person YET. At that point, the person
doing the interview is basing their opinion on
factors that may be presented by you to them, but not
proven yet. After all, you might be lying your butt
off...it has happend before...really, though i know it
is hard to believe ;-). Therefore, you aren't in a
position to offer unsolicited criticism yet.

Get the position, show that your own work is based on
quality, and THEN you will be "allowed" to criticize
someone elses's work.

It won't take long to get to that point. When you
start, make teeny-tiny little committments, then meet
them...especialy since so many people cannot even do
that. Tell them you will have a first draft of the
first page of the first chapter done in 48 hours, and
deliver it in 42 hours. String together 3 or 4 met or
exceeded committments, and all of a suddent, you are
the expert.

THEN you can rip someone elses's work to shreds and
they will say:

"THANK YOU...can you do it again, but harder this
time???"

> If the person I'm interviewing with is too proud to
> accept "constructive
> criticism," then I probably wouldn't want to work
> for that person in the
> first place. I doubt that I would learn much in such
> an organization,
> except to keep my thoughts to myself and "go with
> the flow."
>
> Then again, if you're willing to work for such a
> person, go for it!
>
> Theresa Jakupco
> tsjz -at- erols -dot- com

===