FW: Should I Say Something?

Subject: FW: Should I Say Something?
From: Lynn Perry <CLPerry -at- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 16:20:43 -0700

Ivan Gelicall <<great moniker, btw>> wrote:
<snip>
When I sat down to read what they had written I
found quite a few mistakes. It occurred to me that I
could correct them of say nothing. I want the job
and I'm not sure that saying anything would help.
</snip>

This is a cruxer: if you ask for the origin of the samples, suspicions will
likely be roused; if you offer criticism, regardless of how gently done, you
risk offending the interviewer, even if she/he is not the originator of the
samples; if you don't say anything, you undercut your own power. And this
just assumes that the samples offered were just that and not a test of your
"powers of perception."

What I do is express my gratitude for the samples and their contribution to
my knowledge of the product (or company or industry or whatever), IF and
ONLY IF I really am grateful, that is. I might then say something like, "You
know, I saw some ways to improve these pieces, and would love to have a
chance to do so." Or whatever is appropriate. Or "As I was reading, I
noticed some areas that might benefit from <editing, rework, whatever>. If I
had <or 'take'> the time, I would have provided <or 'can provide'>
additional comment..."

That takes the pressure off the pieces, keeps you from being stifled, opens
the door to possible jobs you could perform, and turns the focus to you, the
interviewee, which is where the focus belongs, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

C. Lynn Perry
clperry -at- walldata -dot- com
Wall Data Incorporated / Seattle WA
Some days it doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=