Re: Grease ZERK or ZIRC?

Subject: Re: Grease ZERK or ZIRC?
From: jgilger_it -at- NV -dot- DOE -dot- GOV
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 16:00:27 -0700

In twenty years of being a machinist/mechanic I have never heard (or
read) of this grease fitting called anything other than a zerk fitting
or a grease fitting. "Zerk" refers back to the inventor (or something
like that) the less colorful, but still acceptable, name is "grease
fitting." Call it by either name and your end user will understand.


-----Original Message-----
From: Kate Schommer [SMTP:KSchommer -at- METSYSENG -dot- COM]
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 1999 3:11 PM
Subject: Grease ZERK or ZIRC?

This question is for all the gearhead TWs (I know you're out

The connector where you pump grease into a bearing: Is it
spelled "zerk" =
or "zirc"?
I realize this is jargon-y, but I'm squeamish about the term
"nipple". =
Any and
all alternate suggestions are welcome!


Kate Schommer
Senior Technical Writer
Metsys Engineering Inc.
612-944-1674 x118
kschommer -at- metsyseng -dot- com

Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g., SIGNOFF
Search archives at:
Check out topic summaries at

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Re: Using Contractions in Software Manuals
Next by Author: Re: Grease ZERK or ZIRC? fin
Previous by Thread: Grease ZERK or ZIRC?
Next by Thread: Re: Grease ZERK or ZIRC?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads