Re: Problem With Microsoft Word97?

Subject: Re: Problem With Microsoft Word97?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 17:31:28 -0400

Hallo:

The Red X word bug is well documented. The issue is *NOT* which version of
Word97 you use to open the document but, instead, which version of Word97
was used to *CREATE* the document.

SR-1 and SR-2 offer prevention, not a cure.

Create the document in SR-1 or SR-2 and the document should not come down
with a case of Red X. Create the document in Word97 before these releases
and, *regardless* of which Word97 rev you open the doc with, you suffer a
good chance of being Red-Xed.

The answer, as previously stated, *MUST* involve re-creating the doc in a
version of Word that includes SR-1 or (preferably) SR-2:

1. Check the Microsoft support knowledge base for information.
2. Do the silly Microsoft support dance: turn off Fast Saves, make sure you
have a goodly amount of disk space for your swap file, wave a wand over your
PC . . ..
3. Install SR-1 and SR-2 for Microsoft Word 97.
4. Open the afflicted Word document in the SRed version of Word97.
5. Now, the painful part: re-create and/or re-import all affected graphics.

All the best and good luck. Bear in mind that Word has issues when you push
it to the limit, but the purchase of MS word cost you a lot fewer short-term
budget dollars than a DTP application, such as FrameMaker, Interleaf,
Ventura . . . (you get what you pay for and such purchases are always a
strategic business decision--stability versus dollars versus rework versus
training versus export/importability).

Good luck.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com