Re: Interview from hell

Subject: Re: Interview from hell
From: Philomena Hoopes <PHILA -at- MAIL -dot- VIPS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 11:15:04 -0400

Quoth Richard:
<<Candidates are not selected on measurable, pertinent skills and
experience. They are selected on whims - another element of our highly
dysfunctional corporate environments.>>

IMO, when the hiring process depends upon defining, categorizing, and
judging human beings purely by measurable attributes -- when the intangible
*human* quality is gone from the work environment -- we might as well trade
ourselves in for machines.

Yes, the measurable skills and experience are (or should be) a necessary
first-line screen. The final hiring decision, however, does necessarily
depend on personal judgment call: can the manager work with the candidate?
Can the team work with the candidate? Can the candidate work with the
manager and team? Whether this decision is made on a whim or not depends on
the integrity of those who are making the call...candidate included.

I agree, corporate environments can leave a lot to be desired as far as
human qualities are concerned; the law rightfully allows no room for bigotry
and favoritism. To remove all consideration of human rapport, however, is to
reduce the employees to the level of the machines they operate.

Philomena Hoopes
Phila -at- vips -dot- com <mailto:Phila -at- vips -dot- com>
VIPS Healthcare Information Solutions, Inc.
(410) 832-8330 ext 845

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=