Re: US style in Europe (was Punctuation tips (not that you need t

Subject: Re: US style in Europe (was Punctuation tips (not that you need t
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:12:45 -0700

Normally, I stay out of threads like this...
> <<British audiences still learn English from native Britons. Many of them
> unfortunately go on to bastardise their native tongue by absorbing
> Americanisms>>

Last weekend, a conversation with a friend who until recently was
working on his graduate degree in history took an odd turn. Apparently,
historically speaking, the accent americans have today is closer to
the 17th century English accent than the accent britons have today.
Languages drift, and not always in ways we'd expect them to.

Don't quote me on this, I'm only repeating a rumor I heard in
casual conversation :-). Maybe somebody more familiar with the topic
can comment.

Steven J. Owns
puff -at- netcom -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=