Do users actually read READ.ME files?

Subject: Do users actually read READ.ME files?
From: Trevor Grayling <Trevor -at- MDLI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:32:19 -0700

Greetings TechWr-Lers:

I've seen a number of studies (and conducted my own) that indicate that
software users frequently ignore manuals and even online help. I suspect --
but have no data -- that the same can be said for the READ.ME files that
accompany most software releases.

Because our company is contemplating putting more effort into readme's, I'd
like to see any research that indicates level of usage of these files to
determine what level of effort would be justified.

Can anyone help?

Trevor Grayling
Manager of Technical Communications
MDL Information Systems, Inc.