Re: mouseover. Is it a word?

Subject: Re: mouseover. Is it a word?
From: "Merrick, Tim" <tim -dot- merrick -at- LSIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:31:01 -0500

Chris Hamilton asks:

"Do you mouse over something to make associated text appear? Do you
mouse over it? Or do you do something else to it. Mouseover seems to be the
slang, but is it the phrase that a happening technical writer would use?"

For what it's worth, the Microsoft Manual of Style says:

"hover, mouse over

"Avoid these terms, especially in end-user documentation, to refer to refer
to the action of briefly resting the mouse pointer on a button, link, and so
on to see a definition or description. Instead use rest on, pause on, or a
similar word or phrase.

"Do not use mouse over as a verb phrase. To describe the action of moving
the mouse to a button, use a phrase such as 'move the pointer over the

Tim Merrick
Technical Publications
LSI Logic Storage Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Re: software documentation skills
Next by Author: Re: Naming Convention for Manuals
Previous by Thread: Re: mouseover. Is it a word?
Next by Thread: Re: mouseover. Is it a word?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads