Re: mouseover. Is it a word?

Subject: Re: mouseover. Is it a word?
From: Randall Larson-Maynard <randall -dot- larson-maynard -at- IND -dot- ALSTOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:37:55 -0700

Do you mouse over something to make associated text appear? Do you mouse
over it? Or do you do something else to it. Mouseover seems to be the
slang, but is it the phrase that a happening technical writer would use?

From the MS Manual of Style for Tech Publications:

hover, mouse over

Avoid these terms, especially in end-user documentation,
to refer to the action of briefly resting the mouse pointer on a button, link,
and so on to see a definition or description. Instead, use rest on, pause on,
or a similar word or phrase.
Do not use mouse over as a verb phrase. To describe the action of moving
the mouse to a button, use a phrase such as "move the pointer over the button."

Randall Larson-Maynard
Technical Writer
Alstom Automation Schilling Robotics
Davis, CA, USA
randall -dot- larson-maynard -at- ind -dot- alstom -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Documentation Infobases
Next by Author: Re: Adobe Exchange mailing list
Previous by Thread: Re: mouseover. Is it a word?
Next by Thread: Re: mouseover. Is it a word?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads