Re: Sample Requests

Subject: Re: Sample Requests
From: Mary Deaton <m_deaton -at- KWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:53:34 -0700

It is very hard to assess someone's ability without seeing samples of their
work. However, I have frequently had candidates who could not bring samples
of key pieces because they were internal or otherwise proprietary. In such
cases, I may ask them to produce something as a sample or critique something
I give them or otherwise demonstrate that they know what they are doing.

During a career, people need to be saving things and looking for
opportunities to create portfolio items. There are times when an employer
will let you show samples to someone, but not leave them behind. But from an
interviewer's stand-point, I need to look beyond what is on a resume and see
demonstrated ability and samples provide that demonstration.

Mary Deaton
President, KNOWware, LLC
(206) 682-6113
* Smart User Assistance and Training http://www.kware.com
* Microsoft MVP for HTML Help
* Program Associate, Winwriters 2000 Online Conference
http://www.winwriters.com/ohc.htm
* Speaker, Help Technology Conference,
http://www.winwriters.com/htc99.htm