Re: Sample Requests

Subject: Re: Sample Requests
From: RAHEL A BAILIE <rbailie -at- NEWBRIDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:58:55 -0700

I agree that asking to see a portfolio should be commonplace; I would much
prefer to talk about specific portfolio pieces: what pleased me, what I thought
still needed improvement, what elements I thought were incongruent but I had to
live with because of political reasons, and so on. Asking a person to bring a
portfolio is much different than the other practice I've heard of, where an
employer asks candidates to prepare samples using the employer's raw material as
a way of getting "free work".

Rahel Bailie, Vancouver, BC

Mary Deaton wrote:

> It is very hard to assess someone's ability without seeing samples of their
> work. However, I have frequently had candidates who could not bring samples
> of key pieces because they were internal or otherwise proprietary. In such
> cases, I may ask them to produce something as a sample or critique something
> I give them or otherwise demonstrate that they know what they are doing.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=