Re: Getting moved from engineering to marketing

Subject: Re: Getting moved from engineering to marketing
From: Denise Lystad <lystad -at- LYNDEN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 17:35:08 -0700

Beth,

I had the same sort of thing happen to me (though
I didn't get put in with marketing). So to keep my
ear to the ground, I offered to take notes in the
developers' department meetings. They jumped on my
offer because, being engineers, they HATE to take
notes. As a matter of fact, if I can't be there
for one of their meetings, the standard practice
is that the last one to the meeting has to take
notes. (It's amazing how punctual they all are
suddenly. As a matter of fact on those days they
could probably start the meeting ten minutes early
since everyone is there already.)

Anyway, while I'm listening to all the projects
they're working on, I also occasionally even get
to put in my two cents worth and remind them to
include documentation in their plans! It also
subtly advertises that I am flexible and willing
to work as a team for the good of the company.

Not a bad deal for a few extra minutes of my time.

Denise Lystad
Lynden Incorporated
Seattle, WA

Beth Kane wrote:

However, every
> dept. meeting I go to is all about marketing, marketing, marketing, which I
> couldn't care less about. Meanwhile, engineering is having its own meetings,
> and I'm losing touch with the people I need to be closest to.
>
> Do you have any advice for me?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=