Getting some leeway on phony names

Subject: Getting some leeway on phony names
From: "Chris A. Hamilton" <caxdj -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:49:39 -0400

If I'm creating phony names to use in examples in a manual, in some
ways, that's like creating characters in a fictional book or a movie.
We've all seen the postings about the legal problems that can come from
having names that being to someone else, either in fiction or real life.
But if you made a good faith effort to not use names that belong to
someone else, would you be covered by using the legal boilerplate you
often see at the end of movies about how the names are not intended to
represent anyone living or dead?

*Sorry if this isn't the most elequently written post, but it's deadline
time and so I'm barely sure whether I represent anyone living or dead.*

Thanks.
Chris

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=