FW: Hyphenation

Subject: FW: Hyphenation
From: Kathryn Palguta <KPalguta -at- SHAWNEE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 13:14:46 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathryn Palguta
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 1999 1:13 PM
To: 'jowen2 -at- CSC -dot- COM'
Subject: RE: Hyphenation

I have always explained the hyphen v no-hyphen question when it comes to
joining two words to form a new one (as in the case with "online") as
follows:

When a young, created word first enters the language, it is hyphenated.
When it grows old (and up), it eventually loses its hyphen. ;-)

Dr. Kathryn Palguta
Dept. of Arts & Humanities
SHAWNEE STATE UNIVERSITY
940 2nd Street
Portsmouth, Ohio 45662
Kpalguta -at- shawnee -dot- edu <mailto:Kpalguta -at- shawnee -dot- edu>
http://online.shawnee.edu/katie <http://online.shawnee.edu/katie>