Re: readme files for different operating systems

Subject: Re: readme files for different operating systems
From: Virginia_Day -at- DATACARD -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:17:31 -0500

Hi,

First, I wanted to be sure I understood the choices you were asking about.
I'm assuming you were asking about one readme for Solaris and a different
readme for NT/NetWare versus one readme for all.

What's in the readme besides the installation instructions? If it also
contains a bug list (fixed, new, etc), exceptions, etc., I'd consider
having one for each platform. Even technical users get confused easily
when they are forced to choose. I've found that users are consistently
successful only with one choice at a time. Because I'd expect a slightly
different set of bugs even for NT vs. Netware, that might be enough choice
for users.

HTH, Virginia

Kathleen Holscher wrote:

> Our software can be installed on Solaris and Windows NT. Since those two
> operating systems contain different installation programs, we have created
> two separate readme files. We are coming up on another beta release where
> this software will also be available for NetWare. The NetWare and Windows
> NT installs use the same installation program. Would you create two
> different readme files for the two operating systems or one readme for both?
> Thanks
> Kathleen
> kholscher -at- nsisw -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=