Sasquatch is dead, and so is this argument

Subject: Sasquatch is dead, and so is this argument
From: Betsy Maaks <bmaaks -at- TELLABS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:04:27 -0500

Ah-hem! Let's put the 1space/2space in perspective. I
attended an Adobe conference where there was a good
discussion on fonts and this topic came up. Remember that
fonts are designed by font designers who have our (the
readers') best interests at heart. They design the fonts
for READABILITY and for STYLE. The font designers for
computer DTP programs have designed the fonts, including
the periods, to allow enough space between the period
and the next capital letter. It's not a matter of
typewriting, or typesetting, or old-fashioned or new. It's
not even a matter of proportional vs. non-proportional. It's
designed to be used with one space after the period. Think
of the keystrokes you can save! The time spent on typing
that extra (superfluous) space! The wear and tear on the
thumbs!

All the eye needs is a pause, not a cliff, at the end of a
sentence. My advice: Leave readability to the visual experts,
called font designers. Trust that they know their skills
as well as you know yours as a tw.

Below is an example of two spaces, where I can see where
each extra space is located. Take a look and notice the
rivers that occur after the periods. You see them even
better when you scroll down the page:

Now, that's a lot of text. When I type it with 2 spaces
between each sentence, I will develop rivers, which draw
my eye down the page. This is Courier font, your non-pro-
portional font. It doesn't matter if it's proportional
or non-proportional. The font was designed with *enough*
spacing after the period. It was really well designed. And
I for one no longer use 2 spaces. It wasn't designed that
way. It's like using a saucer for a tea cup. That's that.
[...]

Enough said? Do you have more problems reading the first
paragraph than the last paragraph? End of discussion.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=