Re: Thoughts on professional society memberships

Subject: Re: Thoughts on professional society memberships
From: Beth Moeller <bmoeller -at- IMEDIACONSULT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:05:46 -0400

[snip]

> As you know, I'm a writer leaning heavily to the technical,
> and most involved in the traditional Silicon Valley-type
> industries, so these two seemed like good fits.

Eric,

I can shed some light on IEEE PCS (aka the IEEE Professional Communication
Society). PCS is part of the 300,000 member IEEE. We are a basically a
2500-member special interest group focussed on technical communication
issues in highly technical environments. Many of our members work closely
with engineers and programmers. However, we also have a number of members
who are academics, consultants, and contractors. For example, my business
focus is web site design and internet training. I find that PCS keeps me
thinking and can keep me ahead of the game.

Our benefits include a quarterly journal, the IEEE Transactions on
Professional Communication, a bimonthly newsletter geared toward the
practitioner, and member rates at our conference. Member rates depend on
how you join. Those who join the IEEE and add PCS as a society will pay
$147. Those who join just PCS as an affiliate member (which means you
receive the full PCS benefits listed here but cannot participate in any IEEE
programs, benefits, or discounts) will pay $57. Affiliate membership is a
nice, inexpensive way, to introduce yourself to the organization.

Our conference (IPCC), held this year September 7-10 in New Orleans, is a
nice intimate conference. We attract around 200 attendees, giving everyone
a chance to network and enjoy themselves. Our speakers generally include
those who are at the top of the field. This year's keynote speaker is Tony
Temple of IBM. For more information on this year's conference, visit
http://www.ieee.org/ipcc. Upcoming conference locations include Cambridge,
MA (September 2000) and Santa Fe, NM (September 2001).

For more information about the society, please visit http://www.ieeepcs.org.
I'd also be happy to answer any questions for people as well.

Beth
IEEE PCS AdCom Member
General Chair IPCC 2000

Beth Weise Moeller