Re: Page Numbering in Word

Subject: Re: Page Numbering in Word
From: Nancy Smith <smithcds -at- ICI -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:28:35 -0400

We discussed this recently -- not that it isn't
worth it again -- and that was the first time I
learned that blank pages "shouldn't" have numbers.
Frankly I still don't understand why. I checked it
out in non-tech books and, sure enough, they don't.
But in tech documentation, esp. that published in
binders, I prefer to see the page number. It
reassures me that I'm not missing anything!

Am I really the only one who feels that way?
(Aarrrgh!)

Anyway, try using section breaks that specify
beginning new sections on an odd-numbered page. I
did that and *didn't* get the page numbers -- which
I wanted!

Nancy

Communication issues

frequently
> called upon to
> format rather large documents for two-sided
printing. Following the
> conventional style (each new chapter/section
begins on a
> recto or right-hand
> page) I frequently wind up with several blank
left-had pages.
> These pages
> should not be numbered (i.e. their number does not
appear)
> even though they
> are sequenced in the overall document count. For
example,
> page 6 is blank;
> numbering should be as follows: Page 5 numbered,
Page 6 blank, Page 7
> numbered. This frequently requires me to find a
bottle of White-out
> (believe me, usable bottles of that stuff are
becoming very
> difficult to
> find)to simply hide the numbers that Word insists
upon
> inserting. I could
> make each blank page a separate section and remove
the # from
> the footer;
> however, the document is frequently exchanged with
others in
> electronic form
> and if they add something that spills text onto a
formally
> blank page, that
> page should be numbered.
> My challenge is how do I make Word number all
pages except blank

___________
http://www.msn.com

> If it's not about technical communication,
don't post it!
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> Review the TECHWR-L Web site at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/
> Send all list-related questions or problems to

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=