Re: Simple Verbiage Question

Subject: Re: Simple Verbiage Question
From: Cheryle W <cjwiese -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:23:32 PDT

Hi Tom,

I didn't mean to say that I was upset about the use of functionality.
Believe me, I am anything BUT the grammar police - those types
drive me nuts. My beef with the words I mentioned below is
not that they are *incorrect* but that they are overused to the
point of becoming annoying. :)

Respectfully,
Cheryle

Cheryl,
I used to get upset with words that seemed made up, but I learned to myself
about some 'constructs,' but I try to keep it quiet.
that it is a part of what keeps English a living language. I still grumble
and grouse

What I haven't come to terms with are the seeming death of the word "fewer"
and the misuse of "that" and "which." "Fewer" is a perfectly good word
that no one uses anymore, it seems, not even professional writers (and you
know who you are); everything is "less," even where "fewer" reads easier.

Regarding "that" and "which," I find that even professional writers can
never seem to figure out when to use what.

And then there is "who" and "that." But I better not get started or this
will turn into a rant.

> Tom Murrell
> Senior Technical Writer, Alliance Data Systems, Inc.
> CAD4A - (614)729-4364
> Fax: (614)729-4499
> mailto:tmurrell -at- alldata -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=