Re: OT: Word Numbering

Subject: Re: OT: Word Numbering
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- lynx -dot- dac -dot- neu -dot- edu>, "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 22:21:20 -0500

At 08:57 AM 9/2/99, Bonnie Granat wrote:

I have two problems that I need help with:

1. I have a Word style for a numbered list. We are continuing to develop
the template that we use, so that I occasionally open a new document using a
newly revised template and import a current document into the new document
by clicking Insert > File, etc.

When I insert a file into my new document, all of the numbered lists are
continuously numbered. I have to go into each list and reset the list
manually to restart numbering.

Question: Is this the famous bug I've heard low rumblings about? Is there
any way to work around this?

The best way to deal with it is to not use Word's automatic numbering. I haven't had many problems with it, but I'm so used to using SEQ fields now because they're more flexible that it's force of habit. I create two autotext entries -- a SEQ field that resets the numbering to 1, and another that continues the numbering. Then anytime I need a numbered list, I start with the first one and continue with the continuing ones. Easy-peasy.

2. When I click File > Print > Pages in Range and then type something
like "11-33", to indicate the page range I want to print, Word 97 prints the
entire document. Is this another bug?

This one I've never run into. I've had a related problem, if I have multiple sections with the same numbering set (one section is 1-10, and another is 1-10). In that case you need to specify both page and section number. If you have multiple sections, you might try that anyway.

--
Beth Friedman
bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com