Re: Technical Writers or Information Developers?

Subject: Re: Technical Writers or Information Developers?
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>, TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:30:50 -0400

All right, I concede the point. By the dictionary definition of develop and
developer I agree that "Information Developer" can be an acceptable term.
However, I still don't like it.
TC seems to best say it for me. We communicate technical information, hence we
are technical communicators. I'd even prefer Content Developer.
I think perhaps my gut reaction is that Information Developer, to me, seems to
smell a little pretentious. Seems to be a title chasing the perceived
glory/recognition of Software Developer instead of defending the position/title
on its own merit.
This also ties into the previous thread of respect. I find it incredible that so
many in the service/retail sector have bought in to the horrible practice of
calling clerks associates. If you're still treated like a clerk, you're a clerk.
But back to my original post, I'll accept whatever it says on my business card,
as long as they respect my work and continue to pay me (not necessarily in that
order of importance mind you ;-) ).

Eric L. Dunn