Frame --> HTML / PDF / print

Subject: Frame --> HTML / PDF / print
From: John Cornellier <cornelli -at- clamart -dot- srpc -dot- slb -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 10:29:59 +0200

I'd like to hear from anyone who is using Frame to single source HTML / PDF & printed output.

1) How good is the HTML output? Can I specify style mapping, e.g. Heading One = H1, etc.?
2) Can I control the HTML file structure? E.g. could I specify that I want every chapter in its own directory and called index.htm?
3) Are there any glitches and gotchas with the hyperlink conversion -- either to PDF or HTML?
4) Can I use conditional text to control the output to PDF/ HTML?
5) If I have already created an index in Frame, can that be converted to a PDF index? Or do I have to use Catalog once the PDFs are made?
6) With the HTML output, can I specify that inline graphics in the PDF / printed version become alinks (so that they are not obligatory downloads?)
7) Is there any provision for generating a navigation system in the HTML pages, e.g. so that each page has at the top
Home > Engineering Guide > This Chapter
With "Engineering Guide" being a link to an autogenerated TofC
8) Can I control the CSSs from within Frame, or do I edit them separately?
9) Anything else I didn't think of?

Background :
The documents are currently in HTML (HomeSite). They consist of text, hyperlinks, graphics, tables, and equations. The layout & formatting are very simple. Extensive use of CSS.
It's a very large doc set -- 150+ chapters, thousands of pages.
I have Acrobat 4.0. I am upgrading to Frame 5.5.6 from Frame 4. I have yet to try Frame's HTML filter or its PDF output).

All advice gratefully received by
John Cornellier,
Schlumberger Oilfield Services, Paris