Re: Word, MS Binder question

Subject: Re: Word, MS Binder question
From: Neal Dench <ndench -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 15:44:03 +0000

Ed Nixon wrote:

> > Has anyone any experience with Microsoft Binder?
> >
> > I have a client who wants my FrameMaker files in Word.
> > The Frame file is of >130 pages, with lots of pictures and
> > tables and I don't want to put them all in one Word file.
> >
> > Can I put every chapter in it's own file, and bind them
> > together with the Binder? How reliable is this? Is there
> > any maximum amount of files that can be included?
> >
> > Any help much appreciated
> > pia

I've only used MS Binder once--a couple of months ago. I discarded it almost as
soon as I had started, because I found it completely unusable for my needs. I had
assumed (and from the context of your message I think you are probably assuming)
that a "binder" was a kind of hold-all document like a master document, that
pointed to all the sub-documents it contained. Not so (at least with Office 97).
I soon discovered that the "sub-documents" I had put into the binder were
actually copied into the binder, which then became home to the documents
themselves. It turns out that a binder just seems to be a way of placing several
different types of Office document into one physical file on disk. Horrible.

It's possible that there is a way to configure things so that a binder points to
files elsewhere on disk, but if there is, I didn't find it. I suspect that
binders are not what you are looking for here, though perhaps Words Master
Document facility would work for you. (Though I see that someone else has
commented on how flaky it is.)

HTH

--
Neal Dench