Newbie in Houston (What do I do?)

Subject: Newbie in Houston (What do I do?)
From: "April" <pix_l -at- geocities -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:13:59 -0600

Hello all,

I'm currently employed as a tech/report writer in Houston, but I'm afraid my
company is in a shaky position and I might be jobless in the near future.
So, I've been looking for another job, but I seem to receive inquiries only
from recruiters. As much as I'd like to work with a recruiter, these leads
have turned up nothing so far. Has anyone had success with a recruitment
agency in Houston? Which one?

Also, I'm interested in knowing what I need to be marketable in this field.
I only have a 2-year degree, so I'm starting back to school in the spring.
What major(s) would you recommend?

Lastly, I'm thinking of buying and teaching myself a page layout program
because the positions I seek inevitably require experience with either
Pagemaker or Framemaker. Which one would you recommend and is learning one
synonymous with learning the other?

You may reply to me via email or on the list, and thank you!

April
pix_l -at- geocities -dot- com