RE: Are these words being used?

Subject: RE: Are these words being used?
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com>
To: "Kathi Jan Knill" <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- template -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:25:04 -0500

Kathi Jan Knill said, in response to my posting on word
coining,

<<Be that as it may George, it does not mean that
shipability and orderability should be used. . . . What is
the matter with "capable of being shipped" or "we can ship
it" or the like? And, as someone else pointed out, what is
the definition of orderability -- able to be put in the
correct order????>>

The point I was trying to make is that we should use the
users' terms (if these are indeed the users' terms) rather
than substituting our own preference. And to determine
whether they are the users' terms, we have to do user and
task analysis.

If users really do use "orderability" and "shippability,"
those are the terms the documents should use, whether they
appear in a dictionary or not.

--George

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: +1 (803) 642-2156
Fax: +1 (803) 642-9325
http://www.ghayhoe.com

Winner
APEX '99 Grand Award for Publication Excellence

Awards of Distinguished Technical Communication
South Carolina/Carolina Foothills STC Chapters
1998-99 Technical Publications Competition