justifying more tech writers

Subject: justifying more tech writers
From: "Laura Winkelspecht" <daisylion -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:45:08 PST

I work for a large financial services company (life insurance and annuities mostly), documenting internal policies and procedures for a division (500+ employees). I am the first tech writer the division has ever had, and I am swamped to say the least. Previously, SMEs documented all policies and procedures (when they had time). I am the first professional writer/editor to touch them.

I am currently trying to get help, short-term from contractors, long-term by adding to staff. Of course, management wants as many numbers as possible. Does anyone out there work for a similar type of company documenting processes, policies, and compliance information? **How many people do you have doing it, and are they enough?**

Has anyone ever done a survey to find out how good documentation has impacted internal processes, reduced errors, increased productivity, decreased training costs, and improved employee job satisfaction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I approach management in mid-December.

Laura Winkelspecht,
Documentation Coordinator

P.S. Sorry if I posted a blank message. I am having slight problems with my e-mail.