Re: Contacting competitors for information on their documentation

Subject: Re: Contacting competitors for information on their documentation
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: John David Hickey <dave -at- toonboom -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 15:12:59 -0600

Given your time crunch, my experience may not help you in this instance,
but I have contacted competitors about their documentation. These aren't
cold calls, however. When I go to trade-related conferences, vendor
demos, etc., I try to schmooze a little with people who do roughly the
same thing I do, ask if they would mind if I contacted them sometime,
and exchange cards.

I have found fellow writers to be very open to sharing knowledge, and
even to talking about how things are done in their companies. We all
acknowledge that there are trade secrets, and that there are boundaries
to be observed, but I have found that most people won't just flat-out
refuse to discuss their documentation methods, tools, etc.

Best of luck.

--
Jo Baer
Senior Technical Writer