Re: Anyone seriously using JavaHelp?

Subject: Re: Anyone seriously using JavaHelp?
From: "M. Giffin" <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 18:28:42 -0800

I'm using JavaHelp for one of my clients. It's a network management application that will soon be released. I and another writer are constantly remarking on how slow it is, and how many things are screwed up with it (tables, anchors, graphics, more). But our Java programmers are pretty protective of it, and we're stuck with it. They say some future release will improve it. I would hope so, It's gross. But it has improved over earlier versions, to be fair.

I don't use a special tool for JavaHelp. I use Pagemill to make the HTML topics, and do the XML files (TOC, index, helpset etc.) in a text editor.

M. Giffin
California, USA

At 02:47 PM 3/7/2000 -0500, you wrote:

Is anyone using JavaHelp for a production application? I am testing
WebWorks Publisher 2000's ability to produce JavaHelp and find the
JavaHelp display engine too buggy (and slow) for my taste.

I'm now testing slimmed down JavaHelp (secondary windows with no / minumum
graphics) to see if it's any more satisfactory.

Ward Rosenberry