Re: 'Stereotype' thread - evolved.

Subject: Re: 'Stereotype' thread - evolved.
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 09:35:39 -0600

John Posada wrote:

> For all intents and purposes, this generation is the first generation
> that is learning to write online. Not having kids, I don't know if
> what I'm seeing is typical of the group, yet when they need to, are
> able to compose sentences with nouns, verbs, and periods, or if this
> is going to become the standard way of communicating once they get
> into the workforce. If the later, what is this TW field going to
> evolve into?

Even if you don't have kids, I bet you've been a kid, John. Did you use the same writing/speaking style in every circumstance? I bet you didn't. I didn't. Still don't. I try to make e-mail/newsgroup posts as coherent and readable as possible, since I consider them written communication and they're out there forever, but when IMing I use abbreviations, I don't correct typos, and I don't even bother to use caps. I suspect the teenagers of your acquaintance are the same way, and will be able to switch between formal and informal communication as needed.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a college student who got tired of "old folks" saying "when you get out in the real world, you won't be able to _____" (fill in the blank - sleep in late, drink all night, whatever). She said hey, we're not IN the real world. And why behave that way if you don't have to yet? I don't necessarily agree with her ;-), but I see her point - don't assume they won't be able to exhibit behavior A when necessary just because they exhibit behavior B whenever and wherever they can.

Tracy

Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okvotech.org/cimc
http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230